Time to provide some information about me. I got my B.S. degree from Bogazici University, Istanbul, Turkey, in 2006 with high honors. I was at the department of Mathematics originally, but then decided to transfer for the department of electrical and electronics engineering. Later, I completed my graduate studies at the University of California, San Diego in 2012 in Electrical and Computer Engineering Department. My graduate research was focused on algorithms for wireless communications and efficient video source coding and transmission scenarios in various relay, point-2-point and decentralized topologies. My previous concentrations were computer vision, UWB, spread spectrum systems and cryptology. Here is my Cirruculum Vitae.
- The focus of my research in the past five years has been on cloud storage applications, physical layer communication theory, information and reliability theory, estimation theory, error detection and correction coding, source coding and data compression, modern scale-out storage technologies (including SAN, NAS, etc) and network and distributed systems. I was particularly interested in ultimate limitations of storage systems, the interaction between machine learning and information/coding theory, utilization of hardware as well as software redundancy to make up for various errors. I got my Ph.d. under the supervision of Prof. Laurence Milstein and Prof. Pamela Cosman.
- I have collaborated with many people from academia as well as industry. In addition to image and video communications, I have been part of many contributions of various disciplines such as computer vision, magnetic recoding and storage devices. Having developed a solid background on correction coding and reliability modeling, I had the chance to work with brilliant people from IBM, HP and Quantum Corporation, where i was employed earlier. I have been part of the machine learning activities in 2009 that took place in Mitsubishi Electric Research Labs at Boston, MA under the supervision of Dr. Fatih Porikli. I am currently teaching at MEF University and Sabanci University, Istanbul, Turkey.
Other professional activities of mine include but not limited to...
- Associate Editor, Elsevier IoT Journal (Special Issue on Advancements in Distributed Ledger Technology (DLT) for the Internet of Things (IoT)) click here for pdf.
- Committee member, IEEE Comm. Society Student Competition, 2018.
- Committee member, IEEE DSTC, 2018.
- Active member, INSIC Consorcium - Tape Technical Team, (2013-today).
- Visiting Scholar, University of Nantes, France, 2015, 2016.
- Visiting Researcher, Quantum Corporation, USA, Summer 2018.
- Refree & Panelist,TUBITAK TEYDEB and 1001, 1003 panels.
- Refree & Panelist, TUBITAK, TGV and TUSIAD Annual Technology Awards
- Consultancy for technology companies, Quantum (2015-today), Hauwei (2016).
- TPC for IEEE Globecom and IEEE ICC, 2015-2019.
- TPC for IEEE PIRMC`18, ICW TELKOMNIKA`18, CYBERNETICSCOM`16, ICRAMET`18, DISP`19, INAIT`18`19, SES`19, ISIEA`12`13, etc...
Last but not least, I like playing soccer and fishing. I also am keenly interested in drawing and taking nature pictures while I am traveling. I ll post few drawings and photos of mine sometime in the future.