- Here are the classes i taught in 2015/2016. I will be teaching the same classes in 2016/2017 academic year. Please feel free to use materials with appropriate referencing and referals.
- >> EE203 - Digital Systems Design (Fall 2016)
- Brief Description: This course is aimed at providing an introduction to logic design and the basic building blocks of modern digital systems such as digital computers. The course has three phases. The first phase deals with the number system, Boolean algebra, combinational logic including logic gates and minimization/optimization techniques. The second phase considers sequential logic including flip-flops, counters, summers and basic memory elements. The third phase will include discussions about more advanced topics like registers and basic computer design. Throughout the course, different representations such as truth tables, timing diagrams and state diagrams will be discussed. This course has an accompanying lab component in which the students are expected to obtain hands-on experience with modern computer-aided design softwares as well as applied digital integrated circuit technology using breadboards.
- >> COMP206 - Computer Architecture (Spring 2016)
- Brief Description: In this class, we will learn about the basics of the computer organization and architecture, roles of processors, main memory, and input/output devices. It also involves understanding the concept of programs as sequences of machine instructions. Understanding the relationship between assembly language and machine language; development of skill in assembly language programming; understanding the relationship between high-level compiled languages and assembly language. Understanding arithmetic and logical operations with integer operands. Understanding floating-point number systems and operations. Understanding simple data path and control designs for processors. Understanding memory organization, including cache structures and virtual memory schemes. Understand and implement basic pipelining concepts. If time permits, learn about advanced microarchitecture concepts such as branch prediction and multithreading.
- These articles are intended to cover some of the fundamentals as well as advanced concepts for each and every topic. However, most of my applications are for storage and data recording scenarios. The contents of these text documents here have found many applications in digital communications, computer vision and parallel computing applications etc. I urge you to search for other brilliant documents available on the web for various succesful applications of the algorithms presented in those documents.
I will appreciate if you can provide any corrections you might have regarding the uploaded documents. Provide your feedback at the contact me web page.
Research Articles for Error Correction Codes:
- Article 1 - Introduction to Information Theory and Bounds
- Article 2 - Algebraic Code Constructions - Linear Codes - 35 Pages, Version 0.1
- Article 3 - Convolutional and Turbo Codes
- Article 4 - LDPC Codes - 18 Pages, Version 0.1
- Article 5 - Incremental Redundancy and Fountain Codes - 57 Pages, Version 0.2
- Article 6 - Erasure Codes for Storage
- Article 7 - On the modes of tape C1-C2 product code decoding (LTO related)
Research Articles for Data Compression: Deduplication
- Article 1 - Introduction to Coded Deduplication Systems
Research Articles for Constrained Codes:
- Article 1 - Constraint systems
- Article 2 - RLL and MTR codes
Research Articles for Digital Communication Systems
- Article 1 - Introduction to Communication Theory - Fundamentals - 33 Pages, Version 0.1
Research Articles for Reliability Theory Basics:
- Article 1 - Reliability Engineering
- Article 2 - Durability and Availability of Erasure-Coded Systems with Concurrent Maintenance
- 30 Pages, Version 0.1
Articles for Time Series Analysis:
- Article 1 - Hidden Markov Models: Evaluation, Decoding and Learning.
Review Articles for Multimedia Communications:
- Article 1 - Wireless Progressive/Scalable Multimedia Communications -Intended 4 IEEE Potentials
Review Articles for Relay Protocols:
- Article 1 - BER Calculations for Hierarchical 4PAM for Truncate and Forward Protocol
Some of my presentations:
- Minimum Distortion Variance Concatenated Block Codes for Embedded Transmission (ICNC 2014)
- Embedding Noise Prediction into List-Viterbi Decoding using Error Detection Codes (ISPS 2013)
- The Evolution of Erasure Codes (ITU 2013)
- Optimization of Generalized LT codes for progressive image transfer (VCIP 2012)
- On Hard Decision Upper Bounds for Coded M-Ary Hierarchical Modulation (CISS 2011)
- Concatenated Block Codes for Unequal Error Protection of Embedded Bit Streams (CWC 2011)
- Progressive Source Trans. using JSCC and HM in Packetized Networks (GLOBECOM 2009)
Helpful documents by Other authors:
- Optimization using MATLAB by Arnab Sarkar, Sonal Varshney
- Distributed Source Coding by Zixiang Xiong, Angelos D. Liveris, and Samuel Cheng
- Birth and Death Process for data modeling by Jorge Julvez
- Run Length Limited Sequences by Kee A. Schouhamer Immink